Academic Writing in English
Dr. Kimberly Crow (https://theacademiccrow.de/)
This course will be offered in collaboration with the Graduate Center at Kiel University.
This event is aimed for doctoral candidates of all faculties and is open to doctoral candidates in the marine sciences from SEA-EU member universities.
Online, a link will be sent prior to the course
The workshop aims at improving non-native English speakers’ academic writing skills by highlighting typical features and composing elements commonly applied by native speakers of English. Participants will be equipped with a broad variety of helpful techniques and they will have ample opportunity to ask individual questions and receive immediate feedback on their own writing.
- Characteristic features of English and word(type) choices in English academic texts
- Pitfalls that non-native speakers of English, especially German speakers, are vulnerable to when writing in English and strategies to avoid them
- How to develop a more fluent and lively style of writing
- Resources, aids, and strategies to help improve your writing on your own and techniques for enlarging and retaining vocabulary
- Selected punctuation issues
- Feedback on papers participants turned in prior to the workshop
- Discussion and questions
Participants will be asked:
- To send in a page from their current work or from a text that they have written in the past. The Paper must be turned in three weeks prior the workshop.
- To bring along an English text from their respective field of work that was written (preferably) by a native speaker of English and that they find well-written.
Tuesday, 16 November 2021
09:30 – 17:30 h
Wednesday, 17 November 2021
09:30 – 17:30 h
In order to register for “Academic Writing in English” please write an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org stating your affiliation to:
- marine sciences
The Application Deadline is 17 October 2021.
Limit: Places for SEA-EU international participants are limited and will be attributed on a first-come-first-served-basis.
Each person who is granted a place will receive an email from the SEA-EU@CAU team with further instructions by 19 October 2021. Without this confirmation e-mail you are not allowed to participate in the course.
All further registrations will be put on a waiting list. As soon as a place becomes available in the course, you will receive a message from us. If you have not received a message by 26 October 2021, you have not been allocated a place on this course.
If the minimum number of participants of 6 cannot be reached, the event will have to be cancelled for financial reasons.
Conditions of enrolment:
- The course offers are meant for SEA-EU Alliance Universities’ doctoral candidates: Registration is only considered if made with a valid institutional email address.
- By applying to this course, you agree that your data (name, affiliation, email) will be shared with the course instructor and the Graduate Center at Kiel University if your application is confirmed.
- A certificate of participation will be issued, upon attendance to >75% of the course.
- Registration is binding.