English for Writing Research Papers
03 to 31 May 2022 10:00-13:00 (online)
Dr. Bárbara Eizaga-Rebollar, Linguistic Consultancy Office at the University of Cádiz
This course will be offered in collaboration with the Escuela Internacional de Doctorado en Estudios del Mar (International Doctoral School in Marine Sciences; EIDEMAR) at the University of Cádiz.
This course is open to second or third-year PhD students in the marine sciences from SEA-EU
partner universities with a B2 (Upper-Intermediate) level of English or higher, who are
writing a paper.
Online, a link will be sent prior to the course
The course will provide a variety of academic writing techniques and strategies in English to
help participants improve their draft paper in English.
During the course, participants will work on their own research paper and receive individual
feedback on different sections of their text. Participants should have a draft version of their
English text ready at the beginning of the course.
- How to plan and prepare a paper
- How to structure sentences
- How to structure paragraphs
- How to avoid redundancy, ambiguity and vague language
- How to distinguish my work from others
- How to paraphrase and summarise
- How to write a good title and Abstract
- How to write the Introduction
- How to write the Methods
- How to write the Results and the Discussion
- How to write the Conclusion
- How to check for clarity, readability and style
Participants will be required:
- to send a draft version of their English paper upon registration.
- to provide proof of their English level.
From 3 to 31 May 2022. This course will consist of 7 online sessions of 3 hours and 1 online session of 4 hours held on Mondays and Thursday during the entire May. The advised self-study load is 4-5 hours a week.
List of sessions:
Session 1: Thursday, 05 May 2022, 10:00-13:00
Session 2: Monday, 09 May 2022, 10:00-13:00
Session 3: Thursday, 12 May 2022, 10:00-13:00
Session 4: Monday, 16 May 2022, 10:00-13:00
Session 5: Thursday, 19 May 2022, 10:00-13:00
Session 6: Monday, 23 May 2022, 10:00-13:00
Session 7: Thursday, 26 May 2022, 10:00-13:00
Session 8: Monday, 31 May 2022, 09:00-13:00
In order to register for ‘English for writing research papers’, please send an email to
firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- your affiliation (university, department)
- the year in which you started your PhD
- the draft version of your paper in English
- proof of your English level
The Application Deadline is 27 April 2022.
Limit: There are 20 places in this course. 10 places will be open to students from SEA-EU partner universities and will be attributed on a first-come-first-served-basis.
Each person who is granted a place will receive an e-mail by the email@example.com with further instructions by 28 April 2022. Without this confirmation email you are not allowed to participate in the course.
All further registrations will be put on a waiting list. As soon as a place becomes available in the course, you will receive an email. If you do not receive a message, you have not given a place on this course.
Conditions of enrolment:
- The course offers are meant for SEA-EU Alliance Universities’ doctoral candidates: Registration is only considered if made with a valid institutional email address.
- By applying to this course, you agree that your data (name, affiliation, email) will be shared with the course instructor and EIDEMAR at the University of Cádiz if your application is confirmed.
- A certificate of participation will be issued, upon attendance to at least 80% of the course.
- Registration is binding.