Paper Writing Academy
Dr Gunther Tress, Tress Academic (www.tressacademic.com)
This course will be offered in collaboration with the Graduate Center at Kiel University.
Doctoral Candidates in the marine (natural) sciences who are currently writing – or even struggling to write – a scientific paper. It is crucial for the success of this course that you already have a specific paper in mind when you register for this course. 20 participants: 10 for CAU + 2 for each SEA-EU Partner
online, a link and further instructions will be given prior to the course.
- 8 modules
- 35 lessons
- 4 live-online-support sessions
- 1 implementation week
What you’ll learn:
- How to prepare for writing
- How to write efficiently
- How to plan your writing
- How to select a paper topic
- How to select the audience and the journal
- How to define co-authors
- How to structure the paper
- How to choose a paper title
- How to write Abstract and Introduction
- How to write Methods, Results, Discussion and Conclusion
- How to write the support sections of the paper
- How to edit for clarity, style, and format
- How to get helpful feedback on your paper
- How to submit the paper
- How the peer-review process works
- What the review criteria are
- What the ethics of publishing are
- What role the editor, reviewer and publisher play
- How to revise the paper
- How to respond to reviewers and editors
- How to check proofs and get published
- How to promote the paper
- How to avoid common mistakes
Why join Paper Writing Academy
Do you want to learn how to write a journal paper that gets published without the struggles of endless rounds of revision?
Do you only have a limited amount of time and need to be efficient in your writing, all while avoiding the mistakes causing rejection of your paper?
If you are looking for a programme that supports you in your writing process from start to finish, join Paper Writing Academy! It provides a roadmap to prepare, write, submit, and publish a paper successfully in an international peer-reviewed journal.
You’ll start from scratch writing your research paper, and will be guided through the entire writing process. You’ll make weekly progress on your paper, and can complete it by the end, ready for journal submission. The roadmap that you’ll acquire will guide you in future publications throughout your academic life.
Productive writing system
You’ll start by adopting productive writing strategies to get ready for a smooth and pleasant writing experience. You’ll develop a realistic plan for writing the paper as a part of your daily work routine and learn how to decide on a paper topic, co-authors, and journals for submission.
Write your paper
Next, you’ll write all the needed sections for your research paper step-by-step until your paper draft is finished. You’ll learn about paper editing, and how to transform your draft into a publishable text. You’ll wipe out all the mistakes and weak parts of your paper to be prepared for the submission and peer-review process. Here, you’ll also adopt strategies for smoothly passing peer-review and revision so that your paper will get published.
Weekly progress till submission
Paper Writing Academy is delivered fully digitally to your desk. You’ll learn in small weekly units that follow your writing progress. You can directly implement the new knowledge to your writing. You’ll work at your own time and at your own pace as you have 24/7 access to all course material including videos, audio files and PDF worksheets.
To enhance your learning experience, you’ll be part of an interactive discussion group to address your questions and problems, and to discuss paper progress. Finally, our experienced instructor, Gunther Tress (PhD), will be available for individual questions through live-online support sessions throughout the programme.
For further information have a look here.
Between 22 Nov 2021 to 28 Jan 2022 (8 weeks digital course – including 4 live-online support sessions)
The course will start with the enrolment into the course-specific learning platform during a Start-Up week from 22 to 28 Nov including a:
- Live-online Kick-off meeting: 25 Nov, 3:00 – 05:00 pm CET
The official 8-weeks course starts on 29 Nov including the following 4 live-online sessions:
- Live-online session #1: 09 Dec, 3:00 – 05:00 pm CET
- Live-online session #2: 22 Dec, 3:00 – 05:00 pm CET
- Live-online session #3: 13 Jan, 3:00 – 05:00 pm CET
- Live-online session #4: 26 Jan, 3:00 – 05:00 pm CET
In order to register for the Paper Writing Academy please write an e-mail to email@example.com stating:
- your affiliation (university, department)
- the year, in which you started your PhD
- your current paper project
Please make sure you are able to attend the live-online sessions.
The Application Deadline is 07 November 2021.
There are 20 places in this course. 10 for CAU and 2 for each SEA-EU Partner. Each person who is granted a place will receive an e-mail by the SEA-EU@CAU Team with further instructions. Without this confirmation e-mail you are not allowed to participate in the course.
All further registrations will be put on a waiting list. As soon as a place becomes available in the course, you will receive a message from us. If you do not receive any messages, you have not been given a place on this course.
Conditions of enrolment:
- A certificate of participation will be issued, upon attendance to >75% of the course.
- Registration is binding.