… Lost for words?
The SEA-EU Virtual Tandem Language Exchange supports independent and flexible one-to-one language learning. In the international context of the SEA-EU alliance this virtual partnership (can also be physical) provides an opportunity to combine language improvement and an intercultural exchange with a native or near-native speaker to the mutual benefit of both partners.
In the roles of both learner and teacher the focus is on practising speaking skills.
The language tandem can facilitate a development in communication skills on its own or complement more formal language instruction.
Signing up on the SEA-EU Virtual Tandem Language Exchange will allow you the opportunity to find a committed learning partner suited to your personal language needs. A framework of guidelines is provided to engage in this self-responsible and fair learning experience based on reciprocity and respect. Open to students and staff of SEA-EU partner universities, the SEA-EU Virtual Tandem Language Exchange furthers multilingualism and learner autonomy throughout the Alliance.
What are the benefits of participating in our SEA-EU Virtual Tandem Language Exchange?
- You can improve your speaking and listening skills hands-on.
- You have access to native speakers from across the SEA-EU Alliance.
- You get to define what you want to learn, when and how … flexibly.
- You have the option of meeting your partner virtually as well as physically, depending on your location.
- You can get to make friends and learn about a new culture.
- And most importantly: Just have fun!
Conditions of enrolment:
- All students and staff of the SEA-EU Alliance universities can apply. Registration is only considered if made with a valid institutional email address.
- A language knowledge of at least B1 (CEFR) is required as a learner; as a teacher you are a native speaker or have C2 knowledge (CEFR).
- To increase the chances of us finding you an appropriate tandem partner, please provide all information accurately during the application process.
- Commitment to your tandem partner and to mutually agreed upon parameters enhances success.
- Registration is binding and all formal requirements of the tandem procedure must be complied with.
- A match with a suitable language tandem partner is not guaranteed.
- No certificate is issued; no ECTS credits will be awarded.
We strongly encourage participants to self-assess their current language skills prior to application.
First refer to our Application-FAQ document:
To find a language tandem partner register via the Registration Portal at Kiel University and enroll in the SEA-EU Virtual Tandem Language Exchange.