Shared Courses in Marine Sciences
SEA-EU Marine Open Elective Modules
The SEA-EU Marine Open Elective Modules foster virtual student mobility, international learning and collaboration in interdisciplinary marine and maritime sciences. They are hosted and piloted in collaboration with the interdisciplinary Master School of Marine Sciences (iMSMS) at Kiel University.
We bring together master students and teaching scientists from ocean-related study programmes of our SEA-EU partner universities. You will have the chance to connect and collaborate with fellow marine enthusiasts, to get in contact with scientists from many different marine and maritime research fields, and to broaden your horizon by learning about current ocean issues from an international, multidisciplinary standpoint.
- Enrich your studies with an international component
- Benefit from the thematic diversity of our virtual open elective modules and identify your individual
field of interest.
- Get to know people and ocean-related research areas
of our SEA-EU alliance and establish first contact for your next (physical) mobility to come – a study abroad semester, an international research internship, a Blended Intensive Program (BIP), or even a joint
master thesis project.
- And last, but not least: enjoy the open mindset and cultural diversity in global ocean science learning!
How does it work?
Our virtual open elective modules are an activity based on the principle of reciprocity: Each partner opens existing marine open elective modules targeted to master students in marine sciences to master students enrolled in marine study programmes at the partner universities (reserving a few places for SEA-EU master students).
- For information on how to register for each module offered, please see the links below for the upcoming modules.
- Places for joining our modules are limited and distributed on a first-come-first-serve-basis.
- After successful completion of a module (regular attendance and pass in final examination) you will receive a certificate of participation incl. ECTS. These ECTS can be recognized in the electives section of your curriculum. For confirmation of this recognition please contact your study programme advisor beforehand! You can also take a module as an additional output. It will be listed in your official academic transcript of records.
Conditions of enrolment:
- The module offers are meant for SEA-EU Alliance Universities’ master students in marine sciences: Registration is only considered if made with a valid institutional email address.
- By applying to any of the modules you agree that your data (name, affiliation, email) will be passed on to the module instructor and the corresponding universities’ entity in case your application is confirmed.
- A certificate of participation including ECTS will be issued, upon successful examination of the module.
- Registration is binding; if you received a place in a module and changed your mind, please inform us asap about your cancellation (!!!) so that other applicants can get the chance to participate.
We strengthen our alliance by coordinating and maintaining an up-to-date list of our virtual open electives in marine sciences. Thereby, SEA-EU master students can access all the information needed for enrolment into these shared online courses here centrally. The platform/list is updated regularly as new modules become available.
We are looking forward to your registration!
List of upcoming modules for our pilot run in autumn 2023:
Green biotechnology and intelligent mariculture (3 ECTS by UBO); Application phase: closed
Metal contaminats – metals in the ocean (5 ECTS by CAU); Application Deadline: 01 October 2023
Ocean governance module (UM); scheduled for Nov/Dec 2023; more info announced after the summer break.
More courses and further details are soon to be announced.
List of past modules: